Saturday, October 12, 2013

Always looking for new card ideas, I ran across Iris Folding.  There are lots of tutorials online, as well as some wonderful patterns.  Here's an example of a pattern I found online:



You can see how the paper is interleaved and creates a focal point.  Of course, I wasn't satisfied with the patterns offered for free, but my Pazzles Inspiration gave me the freedom to create my own!  You can fill any shape with folded paper. 



 
 









 
When I picked this technique up again, it was Christmas time.
 
 





This is one of my favorite techniques and I'll do more cards eventually. 

4 comments:

  1. Bev, these are so unique!! Can you describe how you created them in the Pazzles software? I would love to replicate this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, the PI software made this a breeze! I created a card with a shape I liked and cut it out. Let's talk about the triangle, because it's a really easy one. Once you decide on your shape, you need to download a template for the folded paper. You lay down folded strips of paper (cut on the PI, of course), in the order shown on the template. That's how the interleaving works. If you choose different patterns of paper - I used pink, green and yellow - you alternate them. So numbers 1, 4, 7, etc, on the template is pink, numbers 2, 5, 8 are green, you get the idea. The more detailed the template, the more strips and the more intricate pattern. You should check out some of the websites dedicated to Iris Folding - they are AMAZING! I even have a book on it. I found somewhere online how to create your own pattern - it's math, but not difficult. Can't wait to see your project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annette, you'd be surprised - but no. The trick is in the folding. It's actually flatter than a card with foam dots, creating some dimension. The top card is probably the thickest, because there are so many strips, but even that is just a little over a quarter-inch. give it a try and see what you think!

    ReplyDelete